Thursday, June 17, 2010

Looking Upward

" . . . the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

--Song, This World is Not My Home

Home. This balloon flew over ours several nights ago. Yes, that is our roof you see. Yes, they were so close that when Ian yelled, "You guys have a good night!" its passengers replied, "YOU TOO!"

Home. It is a place Ian almost never wants to leave. He is the ultimate homebody. So, lately, when he asks me about heaven, he sometimes has tears in his eyes. He asks things like, "Mama, when I go to heaven, will I NEVER, EVER get to come back to this home?"

I am not sure what has prompted him lately to think so much about such things. But this morning when he was snuggling next to me and said, "Mama, what will it feel like when I die?" my tears started streaming.

So I said, "It will be many, many, many years from now. You will open your eyes, and mama will be there waiting for you in heaven, and I will throw my arms around you and hug you for a thousand years."

And he smiled. Big. It's the first time he has ever smiled when talking about such things. We pray as parents we always handle such delicate things in the proper way. How do YOU handle those tough questions?

"Just up in Glory Land we'll live eternally
the saints on every hand are shouting victory
their song of sweetest praise drifts back from heaven's shore
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."
--from This World is Not My Home

7 comments:

  1. My children are tiny as you know. I hope to have the same wisdom to face those questions that you have. Good job mom, praying for you. I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my children that it is like a seashell. Inside each seashell is a tiny creature that lives and breathes just like we do. One day the shell wears out, and it is not a good home for the little creature any more. Our bodies are like that. They wear out, or get sick, or something happens and our bodies are not a good home for us anymore. So we leave our body and to heaven, where Jesus has a new home for us. It is a better home that will never wear out, or get hurt or sick and where we never have to find a new home again. Jesus has promised us this new home and we can trust him. So when we leave our shell here on earth, we won't be sad about it because our new home will be much better anyway. And because everyone dies one day, we won't be alone in heaven at all. We will be with our friends and family and they will all have a new home too. It will be a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those terrifying moments when they are begging you to fill them with the truth you hold dear. the book of revelations has fabulous descriptions of heaven. love Cheryl's description too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That is so sweet and touching. I hadn't even thought of having a convo like that with my baby. I love the analogy of a bird in a cage thinking he never wants to leave because he doesn't know about the trees in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I cried reading this. I have a homebody too. He hasn't asked about dying yet. I like what you said to Ian though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My girls don't have this concept yet; I admire the wisdom that comes so easily to you. Now I will know what to say :)

    ReplyDelete