Monday, June 7, 2010
Pinkalicious Felt Cupcakes
Ever had a book you just fell in love with--one that was totally YOU? That's THIS BOOK for my Lilly girl. So how better to surprise her on her upcoming third birthday than with a set of her very own Pinkalicious cupcakes?!
Do you have a Pinkalicious princess/Pinkerbelle/Pinkerella in your house? Do you know a little girl who loves all things pink? A set of these felt cupcakes paired with a copy of Pinkalicious would make a sweet birthday gift for any little girl.
To make a set of your own, follow my recipe for:
(Picture scanned from book, Pinkalicious. Photoshopping effects (text) by Nathan :)
Step 1: Gather supplies--large red and itty bitty white pom poms, pink rick rack, an assortment of white beads, embroidery floss, hot pink and pastel pink felt.
2. Cut the circle from the center of a cupcake liner. Snip away a one inch portion from the edge, tapering toward the center. Discard this snippet.
3. Pin your two pattern pieces to the hot pink felt and cut around each.
4. Trace your circle pattern piece onto pasteboard and cut out. I used a Kix cereal box.
5. Overlap ends of your long piece a bit and stitch from the top end to what will be the bottom end of your cupcake.
6. When you reach the bottom, nestle the felt circle inside and begin stitching around the entire base.
7. Set finished felt liner upside down on the pastel pink felt. Trace around (or just make light dot marks) and cut out.
8. Your pastel circle is ready to decorate. Eyeball the center and sew on a large red pom-pom. Tip: when stitching a pom-pom, go straight up through the center of it and then straight back down the center close to where you came up with the needle. Sew your sugar sprinkles on next (beads).
9. Place your pasteboard circle (remember--the Kix box?) down inside the cupcake base (this provides a bit of structure) and begin stitching the pastel pink top to the hot pink liner.
10. Leave an opening and stuff with Fiberfil, then finish stitching.
11. Hot glue rick rack around the top.
Tea party time. Enjoy!